$28.65 – $34.62 Hourly
Grand Prairie, TX
5/7/2021 5:00 PM Central
- Job Summary
- The purpose of this position is to perform basic accounting, administration, maintenance, preparation of payroll processes and other related technical duties. This is accomplished by maintaining records and statistics; preparing weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and annual reports, taxes, and other duties related to the process of payroll. Other duties include acting as a back-up for the Accounting Department’s administrative assistant and interacting with other City employees and the general public. This includes but is not limited to payroll process presentations, department timekeeper training and answering and responding to employee inquiries about payroll and/or payroll related topics.
- Essential Job Functions
- Prepares, maintains, and processes payroll by examining, reconciling, balancing, and adjusting payroll and accounting records; identifying and resolving problems and inconsistencies; coordinating payroll activities with other departments and training timekeepers. Provides training to personnel as needed.
- Creates financial statements and schedules by preparing weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual statistical reports and taxes and preparing multiple statements using spreadsheets and other report documentation.
- Maintains computer system tables that are relevant to payroll by performing testing of new updates and modifications and training other personnel as needed.
- Coordinates records on basic payroll checks by making changes affecting net wages such as exemptions, allowances, reimbursements, wage garnishments, taxes and various other payroll deductions and calculating back pay based on various schedules.
- Oversees leave records by maintaining all leave balances and records, non-taxable wages, preparations and issued payroll checks.
- Provides back-up support for administrative assistant staff as needed upon their absence by understanding basic functions of administrative duties; printing checks and reports and assisting employees with expense reports.
- Provides training to timekeepers and presents payroll process information to groups annually and as needed.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
- Over two years up to and including four years of payroll processing, preferably in public sector.
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) and memberships
such as APA (American Payroll Association) and National APA are preferred.
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to apply fundamental concepts of theories, work with advanced mathematical operations methods, and functions of real and complex variables. Ordinarily, such education is obtained at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- City of Grand Prairie
- 300 W. Main StreetGrand Prairie, Texas, 75050