WHAT MAKES US A GREAT PLACE TO WORK
We are proud to be consistently recognized as one of the world’s best places to work, a champion of diversity and a model of social responsibility. We are currently ranked the #1 consulting firm on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work list, and we have maintained a spot in the top four on Glassdoor’s list for the last 12 years. We believe that diversity, inclusion and collaboration is key to building extraordinary teams. We hire people with exceptional talents, abilities and potential, then create an environment where you can become the best version of yourself and thrive both professionally and personally. We are publicly recognized by external parties such as Fortune, Vault, Mogul, Working Mother, Glassdoor and the Human Rights Campaign for being a great place to work for diversity and inclusion, women, LGBTQ and parents.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
The Accounting teams consist of General Ledger Accounting, M&A Accounting, Financial Close and Consolidation, and Payroll. Together, we provide the financial backbone for our consultants to support our clients through their toughest decisions. The group maintains our US GAAP-based internal and external financial statements with an eye towards ensuring financial integrity. Whether working on the books for our existing entities, building for new parts of Bain’s offerings, or ensuring Bainies are paid on time, we provide our colleagues the confidence that the finances are complete and accurate.
The successful candidate in this position will own the timely and accurate processing of all payroll related to Bain’s Canadian entity. Along with processing payroll, the individual will be responsible for all payroll-related reporting, such as tax and regulatory filings. This normal responsibility will be supplemented by the Senior Manager applying their knowledge and experience to transform and digitize the Canadian payroll function. They will suggest technological, system, and process improvements designed to increase both accuracy and efficiency.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Payroll Processing and Team Development:
- Manage the processing of all Canadian pay runs prepared by the Payroll Coordinator (weekly, semi-monthly, monthly), including pay calculations, employee status changes, benefit deductions, levy/garnishments, taxable fringe benefits, vacation balance tracking, etc.
- Manage the customer service aspect of the payroll organization by responding to inquiries from employees, other departments, and senior leadership
- Manage the work plan and allocation of work and ensure employees are in roles to succeed and grow professionally while ensuring all deadlines are met and all work done accurately
- Lead collaborative efforts with HR/Recruiting to develop process improvements to allow for greater efficiencies and sharing of information, primarily through the effective use of systems
- Work closely and collaboratively with the corporate tax department to ensure that policies in place are followed
Technical Payroll Issues:
- Perform research and correspond with tax authorities as needed to respond to payroll audits, letters, or notices
- Review and approve all payroll tax deposits (federal, provincial, and other), quarterly/annual payroll tax returns, and forms T4/W-2
- Independently research and resolve complex payroll issues (e.g., vesting/taxation of deferred compensation plans, pay to foreign nationals, multiprovincial, multi-state, multinational withholding, equalization, etc.)
Building the Future of Payroll:
- Actively participate in planning and implementing future enhancements to payroll, such as the implementation of next-generation payroll software, further leveraging existing software, and streamlining processes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance required
- CPP Designation preferred
- 8-10 years of progressive payroll experience
- Experience leading payroll teams
- Experience processing payroll in the international landscape
- Experience processing payroll in Canada, Mexico, and/or South American countries
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with payroll processing systems (e.g., Workday Payroll, ADP Payroll, MasterTax)
- Ability to train and be trained effectively, even in a remote environment
- Ability to work productively both independently, as a self-starter, and as an integral member of various teams
- Excellent knowledge of payroll rules/tax/regulations in an automated processing environment involving multiple entities, states, provinces, and countries
- Proven ability to calculate payroll with accuracy, meeting all related deadlines
- Ability to interact with staff (at all levels) in a fast-paced environment, under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with the highest levels of professionalism
- Knowledge of generally accounting principles
- Ability to handle highly confidential information in a professional manner
- Willingness to expand range of responsibilities as needed based on the evolution of the Company and the role
- Ethical, and individual that acts with high levels of integrity
- Experience working with technical teams to implement or transform payroll systems
Bain & Company is a global consultancy that helps the world’s most ambitious change makers define the future. Across 59 offices in 37 countries, we work alongside our clients as one team with a shared ambition to achieve extraordinary results, outperform the competition and redefine industries. We complement our tailored, integrated expertise with a vibrant ecosystem of digital innovators to deliver better, faster and more enduring outcomes. Our 10-year commitment to invest over $1 billion in pro bono services brings our talent, expertise and insight to organizations tackling today’s urgent challenges in education, racial and social equity, economic development and the environment. Since our founding in 1973, we have measured our success by the success of our clients. We proudly maintain the highest level of client advocacy in the industry, and our clients have outperformed the stock market 4-to-1.